Corporate Tax Senior Knowledge Lawyer
"Great quality in specialist areas..., which is hard to find outside London" – Chambers UK
Working within the Corporate Tax team, the individual will provide a high quality technical advisory training and know-how service to the Corporate Tax Service Line and the broader Tax Practice group in our UK offices, and will work with partners in the International Tax Practice Group.
The Tax Group has an Incentives Senior Knowledge Lawyer, and there are a number of areas in which the Corporate Tax Senior Knowledge Lawyer and the Incentives Senior Knowledge Lawyer will work together.
"As lawyers I find them straightforward, pragmatic and enjoyable to work with" – Chambers UK
Three partners, one associate director, two senior associates, three associates and one trainee. The team advises on a wide range of UK corporate tax issues including VAT and SDLT across the Firm's sectors, with a particular focus on Digital Business, Real Estate and Infrastructure, Renewables, Financial Services and Life Sciences. A significant proportion of the team's work is transactional, but the percentage of advisory work is steadily increasing, as is the level of cross-border work undertaken.
This is a senior position which will play a central role in the technical and wider knowledge work of our Corporate Tax team; applicants should be comfortable advising partners within our business on complex technical tax matters and liaising with external bodies, such as HMRC and the Treasury, without supervision.
Technical skills and experience
Osborne Clarke encourages flexible working and this role will be well-suited to a senior Corporate Tax fee earner looking to move to a Knowledge Lawyer position, or to an existing senior PSL interested in joining a small, busy and dynamic Corporate Tax team
- Strong technical, practical and up-to-date knowledge of corporate tax law and regulation, with senior post-qualification fee earning (or equivalent) experience spanning advisory and transactional/project work gained within a leading business law firm, in-house or at a relevant regulatory body.
- Enthusiasm for all aspects of Corporate tax work and for law and regulation generally within a client-focused professional services environment.
- Excellent academics; minimum 2:1 from a university with recognised law faculty or equivalent via CPE.
- Demonstrates behaviours expected of an experienced fee earner and team player; ability to make decisions and progress work and projects quickly without undue process; has confidence in own abilities and generates the confidence of others; a focused "doer".
- Understands how knowledge is acquired by the lawyer and client audience, particularly in relation to the use of digital media, and how knowledge is now delivered using online and social media tools.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for presenting technical legal and regulatory issues in a clear, approachable and professional way.
- Proven ability to research and analyse complex areas of law and regulation without supervision and to identify the key commercial issues for Osborne Clarke's clients arising out of that analysis.
- Client-orientated approach – both internally and externally; ability to think laterally and to develop ideas in relation to business opportunities and training; appreciation of fee earner needs and constraints; commercially aware.
- Enthusiastic and resourceful; pro-active and motivated self-starter with excellent organisational skills; flexible, pragmatic and problem-solving approach.
- Prior PSL experience is not a pre-requisite, but a good understanding of how large law firms' Knowledge functions operate and of the wider commercial priorities of a client-focused business is a distinct advantage.
- To keep, and have primary responsibility for keeping the Corporate Tax team up-to-date on technical developments (including legislative and case law changes), OECD and EU developments as well as wider international trends.
- Prepare and distribute reader-friendly and relevant internal and client alerts/briefings/updates for publication on the firm's website and in internal and external publications, assisting in the preparation of a quarterly international tax publication for the International Tax Practice Group and preparing responses to HMRC and Treasury consultations.
- Developing contacts with HMRC and Treasury in relation to new legislation.
- Representing Osborne Clarke at the City Tax PSL Group and co-ordinating Osborne Clarke attendance on industry bodies (IFA, QCA etc).
- To assist in the delivery of the Corporate Tax Practice Group Knowledge strategy, led by the Corporate Tax Knowledge Partner and the Head of Knowledge.
- To assist in the implementation of Osborne Clarke's Knowledge strategy, in conjunction with the rest of the Knowledge Team and the Head of Knowledge.
- To understand how the know-how and training needs of the Corporate Tax Team fit within Osborne Clarke's overall strategy and approach to the market.
- To work with the Advisory Group Operations Director to support the operation of the Corporate Tax team.
- To become an advanced user of Osborne Clarke's precedent and knowledge management systems and standards.
- To understand and apply best knowledge management and training practices.
Your career development
Like all our lawyers, you will benefit from our multi-award winning career development programme. At each stage of your career this provides you with:
- clear expectations of your role and what it takes to progress;
- high quality clients and work, with early responsibility and client exposure;
- thorough assessment and individual feedback from a range of experienced colleagues;
- robust technical training with early skills based development, increasingly tailored to you; and
- reward for your contribution, progression and potential, rather than PQE or tenure.
Salary and benefits
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
For more information or to apply
At Osborne Clarke we welcome direct applications - if you would like any further information about the role, or the firm, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please contact, in complete confidence, Geoff Mead in the Recruitment team on 0117 917 3322 or Geoff.email@example.com.
Osborne Clarke is an inclusive working environment and values diversity in its workforce.