Data Protection Lawyer - any UK office
We are looking for a dynamic and energetic data protection lawyer to help us grow and build a leading data protection practice. You will be a data protection specialist as opposed to a commercial/IT lawyer with some data protection expertise.
Based in any of our UK offices, you can expect to be:
- advising on compliance with relevant law, ICO guidance, codes and best practice, Freedom of Information
- advising on compliance with relevant industry codes and regulations (e.g. Lending Code, FCA Handbook, Advertising Standards)
- undertaking data protection audits/impact assessments/health checks
- implementation of data protection good practice
- handling ICO investigations and assessments
- international transfers of data
- drafting policies, procedures, data protection agreements
- advising in relation to security breach management and action taken or threatened against clients by the Information Commissioner or individuals in relation to alleged infringement of relevant legislation
- data exploitation (on-line and off-line)
- managing data protection projects (including with overseas lawyers)
- assisting on the specific data protection aspects of clients’ corporate and commercial transactions (including corporate due diligence, transitional services agreements, outsourcing agreements, marketing agreements etc). working alongside our Financial Regulation team on the provision of data and FOI advice to retail banks, insurers and other financial services businesses, which comprise a significant part of our client base
- continuing to develop the firm’s profile for data protection expertise, including assisting with the preparation of client briefings, articles, press commentary and client training
You will have:
- Commercial and solutions-led approach to data protection compliance Proven project management skills with a focus on delivery and results.
- Strong attention to planning, detail and an organised work style.
- Ability to prioritise, deliver to deadlines and to self-motivate.
- The clear ability to act as an expert on data protection issues.
- A knowledge of key areas of the law and ability to provide clear, practical and commercial advice for clients.
- A proactive and flexible approach, with a willingness to travel across the three offices, as required.
- Demonstrable ability to liaise and influence at the highest level within clients, creating and maintaining effective relationships.
- Ability to influence key stakeholders and to communicate a compliance view persuasively by telephone, in writing and in person.
- The ability to regularly update technical expertise to maintain "expert" status. Strong team working skills and ability to build a credible profile with areas across the firm
We would like you to have:
- Excellent academic achievement with a minimum 2:1 degree or equivalent
- Strong, practical expertise in relevant law, gained within a comparable environment and at an appropriate level (whether in-house, in private practice or in the Information Commissioner’s office
Addleshaw Goddard is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from diverse backgrounds and communities.