Associate - RSSG
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law.
Our people are our greatest asset. We bring together lawyers of the highest calibre with the technical knowledge, industry experience and regional know-how to provide the incisive advice our clients need. How we share our knowledge across our business, and with our clients, is critical in delivering value to our clients.
We currently have 25 offices in 15 countries and a number of referral relationships that enable us to offer the reach and insight of a global network, combined with the knowledge and understanding of local markets. With 420 partners and a further 1,450 lawyers working across 10 different time zones, we are able to respond to our clients wherever and whenever they need us.
Our clients value us for being approachable, astute and commercially minded. As a global team we have a reputation for successfully managing large and complex multi-jurisdictional transactions, disputes and projects, and delivering outstanding outcomes for clients in innovative ways.
Ashurst regards an inclusive and diverse environment as critical to its business success. Accordingly, the firm encourages applications from candidates representative of all talent pools. Find out more about our Diversity and Inclusion Strategy on the "About Us" section of our website.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Ashurst has a leading European and Australian restructuring practice. The Restructuring and Special Situations Group acts for senior lenders, distressed investors, debtors and insolvency practitioners in all aspects of corporate insolvency and restructuring. The RSSG team is largely non-contentious, working closely with the disputes team when more litigious matters arise.
- Apcoa - advising the ad hoc senior lender committee in relation to the scheme of arrangement of Apcoa Parking Group, the leading pan- European car park operator
- Enquest - advising the company on its $1.7bn balance sheet restructuring and equity raising implemented by way of scheme of arrangement and Chapter 15 recognition (ongoing)
- Endeka - advising the company on its €270m debt for equity restructuring involving an English scheme of arrangement of a Spanish company
- Bank of Cyprus - in connection with the financial restructuring of over € 2bn of corporate exposures
- Vivarte - advising the company on its debt and share capital restructuring. This was Europe’s largest LBO restructuring in 2014
- Phones 4U - advising the senior lender on the administration of Phones 4U and enforcement of their security
Alpari, Anchorage, Bain Capital, Bank of Cyprus, Bank of Ireland, Davidson Kempner, Enquest, Endeka, Lloyds Bank, Punch Taverns, RBS, Tragus Group, Vivarte, Xcite
We are currently looking for a qualified junior – mid level Associate to join our restructuring and special situations group (RSSG) in the London office. The successful candidate would work on the following sorts of matters:
- reviewing security, bond and loan documents with a view to advising parties on their rights following default
- advising on schemes of arrangement and related issues
- appointment of administrators, both by directors and by a QFCH
- pre-packaged administration sales of shares or businesses
- company voluntary arrangements
- advice to directors on their duties
- coordinating advice from foreign law firms in relation to cross-border restructurings or insolvencies
- loan to own strategies by distressed investors
Essential skills and experience:
- Qualified junior to mid-level lawyer with post-qualification experience at a major law firm
- Experience at a law firm recognised for its restructuring practice in some or all of the above areas of work.
- Experience of drafting, reviewing and negotiating legal documents and agreements in a private practice environment
- An adaptable person who is a fast learner, with experience dealing with multiple jurisdictions.
- A team-player who can work effectively with colleagues at all levels
- Client facing experience and the ability to understand and respond effectively to client needs
- Experience of negotiating with counterparts.
- A commercial approach
An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Opportunities often arise for associates to spend time on secondment in house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.