Senior Business Development Executive
We are seeking an experienced individual, with a strong background in pursuit and pitch generation, to refresh and develop best practice around our proposal processes and increase the win rate across the department.
The Senior Business Development Executive role will work directly with partners and associates, both in the UK and internationally, across the M&A, Corporate Finance, EMI, Private Equity & Funds and Reorganisations groups and will have the opportunity to project manage a number of high profile RFPs.
The firm already has strong global and office pitch teams with developed infrastructure and respected working practices. The London Corporate practice recognises the need to hone this skill set within the practice and would value the ideas and experience that the Senior Business Development Executive can bring. The role holder will work with the London and Global proposals teams to ensure best practice is shared and incorporated into all corporate opportunities.
The Senior Business Development Executive will demonstrate business awareness by spotting opportunities to engage with targets in pursuit of client opportunities and to influence pitch qualification. The role holder will work with our London pricing analysts to provide fee and profitability guidance to the partners and feed into London wide and global pitches, led by the dedicated central and global pitch teams.
This position has no direct reports and sits within the Corporate BD team, reporting to the Senior BD Manager, and dotted line to the London Proposals Manager. Baker McKenzie has a very strong document production team who create, design and edit high quality client facing documents, giving the role holder the capacity to focus on the value add proposition of the pursuit process.
It is an exciting time to join Baker McKenzie as the firm focuses on delivering its 20:20 strategy. The successful candidate will have the platform to influence the department's pursuits and pitching strategy and make a significant impact in the team.
Baker McKenzie invests in its people and will provide clear opportunities for development, through regular training and exposure to a dynamic business.
In particular, the role will involve:
- Work directly with the Corporate Partners, Associates, Central BD team, Global pitch team, Practice Group BD Managers and Executives across the office to write engaging tenders and pitches for the London Corporate department.
- Provide guidance on how to respond to RFPs, bringing fresh ideas to the process.
- Develop the value proposition and relevant practice group messaging to present a compelling offering to the target.
- Develop content and materials for meetings to help bring issues to life and aid discussion
- Coach fee earners on pitch presentation and delivery
- Promote best practice behaviours across the department to ensure strategic opportunities are maximised including briefing calls, preparation meetings and pitch rehearsals.
- Identify opportunities for partners to engage with targets to increase win rate, both before, during and after the RFP process.
- Build on existing infrastructure to support the pitch process across the practice and implement efficiencies.
- Work with the Directories team to align messaging to maximise market position.
- Track directory rankings and market commentary.
- Responsible for sourcing and updating credentials, CV's, practice group awards and accolades for inclusion in pitch documents.
- Working closely with Senior BD Manager and BD Executive to deliver on initiatives supporting the growth of new business identified in the Corporate practice and industry BD plans.
- Work with our business development support team in Manila to ensure that all pitch materials and tools are up-to-date and accessible on the intranet.
- Work on BD projects across the department including directory submissions, deal collation and client development.
The London Corporate department is at the heart of the firm's business, generating new business opportunities that support a number of key clients across the firm.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Excellent drafting and copywriting skills.
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to brief the design team to present a succinct, compelling message.
- Ability to communicate at all levels.
- Positive, can do attitude - solutions driven.
- Strong project management skills.
- PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook (advanced level).
Pressure & Intensity:
- Ability to work under pressure in order to meet deadlines.
- Strong work ethic with a willingness to work outside normal office hours in order to meet project deadline.
- Well organised, flexible and able to prioritise work and delegate effectively.
Knowledge & Maturity:
- Prior pitch & proposal experience in professional services / partnership environment essential.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- UK CIM or similar marketing/business qualification an advantage.
- Fluent English essential, both written and oral English fluency.
- Excellent organisational skills.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2016: currently ranked 57th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.